Monday, April 11, 2016

Physique Swimming: Lesson 5

I worked with Anthony again today!


Skills


Fetal position float

  • This is the same exercise we did last week. You inhale, then you enter the water slowly into a fetal position. Exhale the whole time and if you're sinking just allow yourself to sink until you're almost out of air.

Backstroke kick

  • Keep your neck back and stomach up. Kick and remember not to bend your knees. We did this with a kick board.
Streamline with one arm stroke
  • Using a kickboard, we do streamline and then perform a stroke with one arm. Then we take a breath by tilting our head up and then perform the other stroke with the other hand. 
    • The issue I had with this is I felt like I wasn't going in a straightline. I felt very unbalanced. Also, I felt like I was taking smaller and smaller breaths each time. 
Anthony recommended that I work on two things:
  • To maintain balance, pull your arm towards your chest but don't let it cross the mid-line (go diagonal) or else you'll start moving in a zig-zag (could be what I was doing). 
  • Remember to exhale and then when your head is out to take a big breath. Don't hold your breath and remember to take as big of an exhale you can. 
Other than those things, he said that my kicks look great (I was doing a good job not bending my knees and kicking from the hip). Next week, he said I'll be ready for beginners level 2!

Next steps:
  • Use a pullbuoy to practice your strokes (http://www.swimsmooth.com/catch.html)
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTQpF_mmg44
    • Early vertical forearm. Imagine your arms pushing against a block that's sitting at eye level!
  • Relaxation exercises. I still feel a bit of tension when I'm in the water. I need to stop holding my breath!



No comments:

Post a Comment