Wednesday, December 28, 2016

One reason why I believe that talent is overrated

In the middle of cleaning today, I found a stack of old SAT exam booklets and reports. I think I kept them back in high school because I had a rude awakening of how behind I was in every subject compared to my peers, and so I wanted to keep track of my performance on the test as I worked on improving my scores. 

I tabulated the scores I got on official PSAT/SAT tests between my freshman year and junior year: 


I was doing poorly in my classes during my freshman year and wasn't a very good test taker. "Talented" is not a word my peers or teachers would've used to describe me. More like lazy and spacey. But once I learned that I needed a decent score to get into a good college, I got to work. This leap in score was the result of very hard work, focus, and tremendous support from teachers, parents, and friends on the Internet (I'm looking at you, www.collegeconfidential.com).

A year after my last test, I received this letter:



It was one of the happiest moments of my life and every time I look at this I'm reminded that it's not always where you start, but how hard you work and who you work with that will dictate what can be accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment