Saturday, August 13, 2016

The Slipper Room Show





I just went to a burlesque variety show with my friend tonight. First of all, they need to add more seating because I think a good half of the people who bought tickets were forced to stand. That's just not cool. Also, they said the show would start at 9:30 but it didn't start until like 9:50. We were both pretty pissed before the show even got started.

This was a variety show with mostly burlesque performances. But really, it's a burlesque show. There was some comedy, some satirical magic, and lots of burlesque dancing. The host was the comedian James Habacker and for the whole time I wasn't sure if he was playing himself or a specific character. He had a drink on one hand for every every act and told pithy logic jokes like "I'm not a heavy drinker ... I'm only a hundred and thirty five pounds" and "so ... corduroy pants are making headlines". I thought he was pretty funny but it did bother me that he seemed to forget (disregard?) his hosting role during the show by constantly asking the audience "do you guys want me bring out the next female dancer?" - as if he was the main act. He was clearly in character and was joking but it really didn't do much to amp up the audience for the actual dance performance.

The first performance by the dancer Harvest Moon was breathtaking. She started out doing the typical, sensual burlesque stuff and then transitioned into aerial silks. One moment she was slow dancing and the next moment she was practically flying in the air! It was really an incredible show of both strength and elegance. My favorite move was when she wrapped herself in the silk on her climb up, then let go and dropped down just far enough to catch herself before the silk she was wrapped in completely unraveled.

Then there was also a comedian magician Chipps Cooney. Habacker (the host) introduced him as the world most famous illusionist. At that point I should've known better to know that Habacker was being sarcastic. This guy was not an actual illusionist. It's a comedy act of a pretend-illusionist setting up tricks as if he was going to do a real illusion. For example, in one act he took out a plastic bottle for his magic wooden chest and displayed it to the audience and then violently crumples it. Hmmm, I wonder what he's going to do with that! He then turns around and blows air into the bottle with about as much force and tada! The bottle is back! Yeah, that kind of magic. I especially liked the one where he brings out a snow globe that was not snowing, covers it with a red handkerchief, and then gently shakes the snow globe before pulling it off to show you the show that just magically appeared.

I don't think I'd go to one of these again. I was hoping for more performances like Moon's where there was a combination of both burlesque and stunts. I guess I was hoping to walk away amazed by some of the performances but I don't think this was that kind of show. The comedic portions by the host had a good number of funny short jokes (and one very long bestiality joke that ended in a confusing way) but felt too lengthy, too misogynistic, and too discursive.


1 comment:

  1. last month he share is herbal medicine in some medical hospital and now he is well recognize as one of the best in West Africa, you don’t have to be sad any more or share your tears any more on this virus when the cure have already be find in 2013 if you want to get in touch with him in private contact him on his email (dr.chalaherbalhome@gmail.com)....

    ReplyDelete