Wednesday, August 3, 2016

How to connect an external monitor using ThinkPad Onelink ProDock

I just got an external monitor displaying using my Onelink dock! The dock is connected to my Lenovo ThinkPad Carbon X1.

Here's how I got it setup:
  1. Connected the dock to my X1.
  2. Connected my external display to my dock using an HDMI cable that came with my external monitor and a Rocketfish HDMI to DVI-D adapter.
  3. Scratched my head in frustration because my computer was not detecting the display. I exchanged my adapter thinking that maybe it was faulty, tried a VGA cable and VGA to DVI-D adapter, and plugged / unplugged the connectors a few dozen times. Still nothing.
  4. Thought it might be a software issue and used my Google-Fu. Learned that computers that were recently upgraded to windows 10 had issues detecting external displays with the dock.  
  5. Installed the latest dock driver as recommended.
  6. Dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment