Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Seasoning a Cast Iron

I bought a seasoned cast iron skillet about six months ago and now it's completely rusty. So I looked up how to re-season my cast iron.
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Wash cast iron with stiff brush or sponge. Make sure it's dry and clean.
  3. Apply a thin layer vegetable oil or shortening inside and outside of the cast iron.
  4. Put aluminum in the bottom rack to catch dripping oil and place the cast iron face down in the center rack.
  5. Close the oven and wait for an hour. Bake!
  6. Let it cool for another hour and remove!
There's some debate over the ideal ingredient to use for step 3 to maximize the non-stick property of the cast iron. According to these two articles, flaxseed oil is king:
  • http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
  • http://www.thekitchn.com/i-seasoned-my-cast-iron-pan-with-flaxseed-oil-and-heres-what-happened-224612
Since this is my first time reasoning the cast iron, I'm just going to start with whatever works. I'm going to use canola oil and if that turns out to be a bad choice, I'll look into flaxseed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment